We’re hiring a Senior User Experience Designer at OXD.
Position type: Full-time
Reports to: Director of User Experience
Help us design and deliver things that matter.
The user is at the centre of great experiences.
Products and services are only as good as the value they generate for the Customer. Patient. Student. Traveler. Musician. Donor. Athlete. Lawyer. Citizen. Teacher… And, like us, you believe that understanding the user—both online and off—is key to delivering insightful, meaningful experiences. As a user experience designer, you’ll work with talented people on important projects for great organizations like Legal Aid BC (LABC), FortisBC, and Honeywell.
Are you ready to help solve some of our most complex social and business challenges?
Delivering citizen-centred government services. Transforming the way organizations work. Standing out in the marketplace with value-creating experiences. Those are the sorts of challenges that keep us coming back for more.
And you? You want to work in a team that’s flexible and where everyone contributes. You don’t have an ego but embrace the value of collaborative design. You know that communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are simply part of the design process. You love tackling complex problems with an open mind, knowing there are different approaches to solving problems. And you believe in the importance of having a life outside of work.
Where does user experience fit in at OXD? Everywhere.
At OXD, user-centred design is second nature. Users are engaged throughout the design lifecycle, from investigation and research, through to co-creation and development, and into evaluation and validation. We’re looking for an empathetic, friendly, and passionate Senior User Experience Designer to become a vital part of our team, playing a role in every step of the design and delivery process. Someone who knows that “simple, intuitive, useful” are little words that take a big effort to achieve. You are a quick learner. New businesses, new problems, new systems—you thrive in an environment where you have to become an expert quickly.
Does this sound like you?
Well-versed in requirements elicitation, documentation, and prioritization
- Perform requirements elicitation through a variety of techniques, like observational research, gap analysis, one-on-one interviews, and workshops. Knowing which method to choose for the problem at hand is crucial.
- Translate user and business needs into detailed designs and functional requirements.
- Organize and facilitate meetings with clients, subject matter experts, development, Quality Assurance, partners, and other stakeholders to review and prioritize requirements.
- Proactively communicate with end-users, stakeholders, and delivery teams to prioritize requirements and define and evaluate potential solutions.
Solid interaction design skills
- Use both quantitative and qualitative research outputs to inform design decisions.
- Create strategy-driven interaction design artifacts for the client and the internal project team.
- Communicate design intent through a variety of deliverable techniques, including user task flows, conceptual and detailed wireframes, journey maps, and prototypes.
- Design interactions across touchpoints—some digital, others not.
Communicate well with clients and team members
- Lead client meetings and workshops with confidence and comfort.
- Present your work and pitch our value to clients and stakeholders.
- Work as part of an interdisciplinary team—collaborating with project managers, software developers, content strategists, and visual designers—to ensure project success.
A champion of design research
- Employ user research methods appropriate to the design problem.
- Perform user research through a variety of techniques like observational research, surveys, literature reviews, competitive/comparative analysis, interviews, and usability testing.
- Use design research to inform digital strategy, personas, the design approach, and requirements.
- Understand the whole service ecosystem in which your design work will reside.
Is this the right fit for you?
We’re looking for people who:
- Have at least seven years of UX design experience.
- Have demonstrated experience in applying design thinking, service blueprinting, and business analysis to complex problem spaces.
- Have a strong understanding of Agile methodologies and the digital design/development life cycle.
- Understand user-centred design, usability, information design, interaction design, as well as core service design methods and processes.
- Have experience mapping structures or ecosystems that illustrate the relationship between users, products, services, or environments.
- Have led co-design working sessions with cross-functional teams.
- Have excellent verbal, writing, visualization, and presentation skills.
- Are comfortable estimating on tasks and projects and can work with project managers to define the UX approach for a project.
- Don’t need to be told what to do and are proactive in ensuring that colleagues are kept in the loop.
- Are comfortable with ambiguity and complex problems.
- Have a degree in a related field like human-computer interaction, communications, psychology, or business.
Experience working on Service Design projects is an asset.
What we offer
We’re proud of the high quality solutions we deliver to our clients. More importantly, we’re proud of the people who bring them to life.
We believe in treating people well, compensating them fairly, and supporting them to live fulfilled and balanced lives. We offer great extended benefits, flexible time-off, and professional development opportunities for all staff. We want people to feel they can bring their whole selves to work and strive to offer an environment where everybody feels listened-to, welcome, and safe.
We are committed to accessibility and inclusivity and are always working to evolve and improve our practices as we learn. If you require any accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know at email@example.com.
How to apply for the Senior User Experience Designer role
Send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the URL to your online portfolio and tell us about an amazing design or service experience that has inspired you, and why.
To help make the process smoother for everyone, please include the job title and your name in the subject line.
Only candidates that meet the minimum requirements will be considered. No phone calls please. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. High-five if you read and adhere to the small print.